Tuesday, July 04, 2006

5 Fast with Earl Brawley



Five Fast is a segment of the blog in which fresh grads or people with brand new demo reels can show their work and give others a bit of insight into what they had to do to create the reel, and where they plan to go with it.

Today's Five Fast is from Earl Brawley:

1. Tell folks a bit about your reel. What are they going to see when they click that shiny "Play" button?

This is the animated short that I created while at the Vancouver Film School. Its about a devil trying to outwit an angel, using a vending machine. I tried to create an entertaining piece that everyone could enjoy.

2. What's the one thing on the reel you're most proud of?

The proudest moment I've had with my reel, is when I showed it to my nephews. To watch children laugh and enjoy what you created is the best reward you can receive.

3. What's the one thing on the reel you struggled the most with creating?

I'd have to say, defining the personality and movement of the different characters and then keeping that movement consistent throughout each shot. Making sure that the audience truly believes in these characters.

4. Why 3D Animation? What is it that appeals to you about this industry, and what made you head down this road in the first place?

I think that 3D offers the viewer a unique feeling. You can create these very deep and rich worlds and it gives you that sense of reality while still having the charm of a cartoon. My interest in 3D began after seeing "Toy Story" for the first time.

5. What would be your absolute dream job?

My dream is to work for Pixar. During the production of my short film, I realized just how powerful and rewarding animating to a story can be. I want to work at a place where "story is king."


Earl's Reel:



Nice work, Earl!

Make sure you swing over to Earl's website to check out more of his fine work!

If you're in a similar situation to Earl, and have a demo reel you'd like to show off here, drop Dave a line at davesj[at]gmail[dot]com!

No comments: