Wednesday, July 26, 2006

10 Quick with Kyle Dunlevy



This week's 10 Quick come to us all the way from Singapore! One look at this artist's work and it's easy to see why he's found a home with Lucasfilm, and has worked on projects for huge companies like Wal-Mart. So without further ado, ladies and gentlemen, the ultra-talented, Mr. Kyle Dunlevy!

1. Tell us a bit about yourself. How did you break into the business?

I think that I was coming out of school now, with the same reel I had in 1998 I'd have a tough time finding work! Perhaps the fact that I was looking for work in the small ciy of Halifax, Canada when I first started has something to do with it; there wasn't the same competition you might get in a bigger place. So I got job at a small studio and - once you're in, you're in! Getting that first job is HUGE.

2. Which of your work are you most proud of?

Maybe the Robinhood kids? I look back at it now and see all the mistakes, but i still get an overall good vibe from it.



3. What are the main tools and/or programs you use to create your work?

I use Maya now, Max before, a tablet not a mouse, a mirror, a pepsi IV and a chissel.

4. What's a typical day in your life like?

Well, since I've moved to Singapore, life's been different so, that's hard to answer. But I haul my tired ass out of bed each morning and put in a good day's work at Lucasfilm. That much is consistant. The rest of the day is spent in the persuit of food and fun. Somehow though, I always seem to end up on the computer...



5. Who or what are some of your artistic influences?

I am inspired and influenced by 3D animated films. Since Monster's Inc. I've been excited to see every 3D feature that's come out. I study them closely and my cartoony style has a lot to do with what I've seen on the big screen. Animation from the big studios like Pixar, Dreamworks and Bluesky have set the bar for me. That's my kinda stuff; fun, entertaining and funny. For me, that's what animation's supposed to be!

6. Would you say that you're a 3D artist who dabbles in 2D from time to time, or a 2D artist who happens to work in 3D?

When I started, it was pensil and paper; Not animation, but art. And when I found myself in 3D I was a fish out of water. Computers were not my bag. But it was just a medium after all. and animation would become my new art. I learned to animate on a computer and now, after 8 years, i think i've come full circle and have a become a 3D artist who dabbles in 2D from time to time.



7. What are 3 of the best things about your job, and what are 3 of the worst?

Best:
- working in Singapore is sweeeeeeeeet...!
- I'm not a Star Wars nut, but being a part of Lucasfilm and working on the next Star Wars adventure is actually really cool.
- There are push scooters all over the studio. We all cruise around on them because the place is huge.

Worst:
- can't bring friends into the studio
- can be dangerous as animators are often swinging around lightsabers.
- if I had known the coffee would be so bad, I may not have accepted the position.

8. Why Lucasfilm, and more imporantly, why the move to Singapore?

Simple. I was looking for a change of pace and scenery. I looked into jobs that would take me somewhere different and exotic. As soon as I saw the job posting from Lucasfilm on thier website, I knew it was the one. BingBangBoom I'm here.


Click here to watch Kyle's amazing animations, like this ad for Wal-Mart!


9. What do you think the top three things are that make a "good" animation?

1. a good idea - in the choice of acting or performance - or in the story - or in any aspect of the piece. For example, if, by being witty or clever you manage to make the viewer say "cool" then you win. What you choose to make your character do is huge; he can say his line a million different ways but you have to make it interesting and creative. The modelling lighting, or the actual animation might suck but if its clear what you're attempting to convay, if the idea is good, then you're off to a really good start.

2. And then if you can accentuate that idea with better animation - you're money. And i'm going to say a sense of asthetics and good timing are number 2 and 3. 2D animators develop a sense of what looks good and what dosn't early on. It can be boiled down to posing. It sounds simple but its not. If, every time you put your character in a new pose, you can come up something thats not boring or predictable - you're money.

3. And if, every time you change poses, you can get from one to the next in a fun and interesting way - you've done it; you've got good animation. That can be boiled down to timing but smart in-betweening gets an honorable mention.

10. Where do you see yourself in the future.

Is this a trick question? Oh I get it...( Dave you cheeky monkey ). Ok, I'll play along: Because Singapore is a day ahead of the North America, it's technically the future here so.. the answer to your question is - The Mirror.


A huge thank you to Kyle. He's got an amazing body of work, and has used his skills to travel the world and work on some great projects along the way. Take the time to swing by his site and view all his work.

You'll be glad you did!

Thanks again, Kyle!

No comments: