Wednesday, August 16, 2006

10 Quick with Jamaal Bradley



I contacted today's "10 Quick" victim... err... guest, after finding his amazing art blog. It was only then that I found out not only was he an animator for "Monster House," but he's also working on the upcoming "Surf's Up" film! So not only is he a great illustrator, but he's got animation chops to boot. That's quite a one-two punch if you ask me (which you didn't).

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Jamaal Bradley!

1. Tell us a bit about yourself. How did you break into the business?

My name is Jamaal Bradley and I am originally from New Jersey. I currently live and work in Los Angeles as a character animator and Sony Imageworks. I have been animating professionally for about 6.5 years.

I actually wanted to draw comic books for the longest time until a friend convinced me to try animation (this was while I was in undergrad). I was accepted to attend the New York Figure Drawing Academy for an MFA in painting, but I decided against being a starving artist (there is nothing wrong with doing that….just how I felt at the time). I studied under Nancy Beiman (former Disney animator now teacher) then soon landed a job doing bumpers for the Cartoon Network in Atlanta GA. With 2D animation slowly decreasing in productions, I was soon motivated to learn computer animation. My first job was working for a small company called TKO-Software. I worked for a few game studios, but would always go home and work on my personal stuff. I still do to this day. My work was finally seen by some people over at Sony Imageworks/ Sony Pictures Animation. I am now working with some of the best animators…and a lot of these guys are top notch. I basically kept pushing myself and that is all you can do as an artist. The worst thing for an artist to do is become stagnant.



2. Which of your work are you most proud of?

I am excited about the work I have been doing on Surf’s Up, but I think I am most proud of my personal work. The ball is rolling on my project and I am happy that the guys that I am working with are so giving and understanding of what I am trying to accomplish. As an animator, I think it is hard to be completely satisfied with you work. It is the same with a drawing or painting. You look at it after you say its done in your head, but in your heart you know something is wrong. You have to let go at some point. I am proud and grateful to be animating for a living. I think that is the bottom line of what I am the MOST proud of.

3. What are the main tools and/or programs you use to create your work?

The main tool that I have been using lately to create my work is the pencil. We use Maya to animate, but I don’t touch the computer until I get my ideas flushed out with the paper and pencil. Then hit that camera station……..



4. What's a typical day in your life like?

Shheesh!!...um….hmmm? I get in early and drink a Rockstar or Rebull. I look at the playblast that I left up from the following day so my eyes can have a fresh look at it first thing in the morning. I then look at the notes that I made for myself before I left the previous day and see what I need to attack for the day at hand. Compare those notes to the leads or sup’s notes and then I begin my attack. This is not everyday since you may be preparing for dailies that morning or dealing with some computer issues… and if you are trying to final for that week you could be dealing with a million other notes before you can hit the personal ones you made for yourself. Its all good either way. The typical day is trying to make your animation look hot as it possibly can.



5. Who or what are some of your artistic influences?

My biggest influence is my mother. She was an art teacher early in her teaching career and always pushed me as a kid with my art. There are so many influences so lets see…..artistically…

Looney Tunes(all the animators), Tom and Jerry, JC Leyndecker, Norman Rockwell, Carravagio, Milt Kahl, Sergio Pablos, James Baxter, Eric Goldberg, Nik Raneri, Bruce Smith, Hayao Miyazaki, Virginie Augustin, Pierre Alary, Sylvain Chomet, Michelangelo, Nancy Beiman, Claire Wendeling, Stephen Silver (even though he tell me not to say it)..there are so many man….just a few that popped in my head.

6. Would you say that you're a 3D artist who dabbles in 2D from time to time, or a 2D artist who happens to work in 3D?

I think I am a 2D artist that works on the computer. I like the computer a lot, but I love the pencil. You can do some amazing things with the machine and I am happy I have a job that allows me to make some cool looking stuff. The pencil is what I started with and I hope to finish with it even if I am 85 for it to happen.



7. What are 3 of the best things about your job, and what are 3 of the worst?

I tell people at work at this…you can complain about anything, but you know what …you are animating for a living so shut the hell up! Haha..seriously… you could be doing something far worse. Yes…there are times I want to jump out a window, but I bring my self back to reality with that statement. I could be doing something far worse.

8. You worked on Monster House, Open Season, and now Surf's Up. Do you see yourself staying in feature films, or would you like to branch into other areas, such as games?

I would love to work on my own projects fulltime. That would be the dream job. I worked in games..tiny stint in TV, and now film. Its fun..all of it is fun. (read the above statement)



9. Do you get to attend the premieres for the films you work on?

HA! Yeah right!...I guess they have raffles and such for one lucky person to go to the red carpet.

10. You've just been made head of Sony's animation department. What's the ideal film you would make?

My ideal movie…It would have to be dark. A dark 3D movie with no humor. I am not a dark person, but I think the industry needs it. Just a gigantic change that will make the world say ..”what in the world was that!!”



Thanks to Jamaal for the great answers. I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I'm really looking forward to seeing "Surf's Up!" next year.

Swing on by Jamaal's Blog and take a look at all of his amazing work, including a sketch from right out of "Surf's Up!"

Thanks again, Jamaal!

No comments: