Saturday, June 24, 2006

Weekend Update

My copy of Maya finally arrived this past Friday, so I celebrated by banging out this head using the Gnomon tutorial I referenced in a previous post. He's not finished, but at least he doesn't have that watermark across his face that you get with the Maya Personal Learning Edition.



Next I get to give him an ear, which is my least favorite part of modeling a head. I think it's just because each time I do one they wind up looking different, and I never know why...

I'm also on to phase 3 of what I understand is a 3 phase acceptance process at the Animation Mentor School of Animation. Redundant titles aside, I submitted my stuff, including an essay, and had it reviewed (phase 1). I then had to complete an online aptitude test for the California Board of Education (phase 2). Now the results of that and my original application will be reviewed and I should have an answer by the end of next week (phase 3).



I'm really excited and hope that it all works out. Working 40-60 hours a week and then doing night school an additional 20 hours a week is going to be tough, but I'm up to the challenge and since classes wouldn't start (should I be accepted) until September, I'd at least get to enjoy a bit of summer before I had to buckle down.

Once I get the head completed above, I'm not entirely sure if I'll take the time to texture it, or if I'll move on to the Monkey model instead. If you remember right, my last one was just a practice run while I waited for my full copy of Maya to show up.

Finally, I've been working with an art mentor at work, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience so far. I'm sure he'll guide me on what to work on next, so one way or another, you'll be seeing more from me.

Whether you like it or not!

Take care.
-Dave

No comments: