Friday, June 23, 2006

Blog Update

Well this little blog is taking off, and I'm really excited to see it growing!

When I first started it, I envisioned it as being an all-encompassing 3D site that would cover all aspects of the 3D world. However with each new post, I realize that my focus seems to be narrowing a bit to what I like, which is much more of the cartoon-style 3D animation found in movies like those from Pixar, or shorts like "Gopher Broker" from Blur.

That's not to say that I don't think the more realistic stuff lacks artistic merit or anything, because that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm just simply the type of person that would much rather see a cow squash a gopher, than marvel at how realistic the cape animates in the new Superman movie.

So I'll probably stick to that for the theme of this blog, but that doesn't mean that I won't occasionally post the more realistic and/or serious stuff. An example of that would be Blur's amazing Rockfish movie:



So from time to time, expect things like that, but I'll probably stick to the more cartoon/comedy type stuff when possible.

Finally, I have a couple of requests:

1) At the bottom of each post, there is a "Comments" link, and if you have time, please post a comment or two. I think it's really important to a site like this that readers begin to build a dialogue, not only with each other, but with me about what stuff they do and don't like. I encourage it very much, and try to respond to comments whenever I can. So feel free to leave your mark. You don't have to register or anything like that, you just have to have something to say!

2) If you enjoy what is going on here, please pass the word on to others. In return, I'll do my best to keep fresh content up. We had our first 10 Quick go up yesterday which featured Mr. Andrew Burke, and I've got one more in the pipe and ready to post next week and at least three more artists who have committed so far. I'll also post link, reviews, and any other shorts, stills or info that I can.

I've included a couple of banners that you can feel free to throw around as you see fit:





This blog is really a great deal of fun to run, and I look forward to posting new content, so I hope you'll continue to read and tell your friends.

Thank you!
-Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, I think your blog is great - I have an enormous appetite for anything to do with 3D animation and I love people who are enthusiastic about the genre. Rock Fish I think is brilliant, a very unique feel to it – I wonder if Kurt Russell offered his services on this production. Blur should make a feature film because I think they have what it takes – how about using the same two characters – they work well together.
All the best with your blog.

Dave Johnson said...

Thanks, bov!

I agree that Rock Fish is great, and I have heard rumors on "the net" that they are in fact planning a full length feature film, just as I've heard rumors of them doing the same with "Gopher Broke."

Guess we can hope!