Tuesday, June 27, 2006

5 Fast With Peter Starostin



Five Fast is a segment of the blog in which fresh grads or people with brand new demo reels can show their work and give others a bit of insight into what they had to do to create the reel, and where they plan to go with it.

Today's Five Fast is from Peter Starostin:

1. Tell folks a bit about your reel. What are they going to see when they click that shiny "Play" button?


Hopefully animations they will like. It's my animation demo reel comprising mostly of animations I did while taking classes at AnimationMentor.com.

2. What's the one thing on the reel you're most proud of?

That would be the very first animation on my reel. I think I started off with a pretty cool idea and it was allot of fun working on the animation as well as building on top of my original idea. Originally, I had the character fall down right after the teapot hit him on the head. Then I thought it was a bit too cliché and boring. So I made him struggle a bit longer with the blue box.

3. What's the one thing on the reel you struggled the most with creating?

I couldn't decide what to do with that teapot from my very first animation after it hit my character on the head. I tried several things and nothing worked or looked right. Jean-Denis Haas suggested that I have the teapot do what it does in the final piece. That was a really cool idea to keep the teapot part of the rest of the animation and also end with it. Thanks allot Jean. J

4. Why 3D Animation? What is it that appeals to you about this industry, and what made you head down this road in the first place?

I think it's the accumulation of allot of 3D art that I saw online as well as comic books, special effects and video game animations that convinced me to do 3D. As I learned more about animation, I grew more and more partial to it. Right now, there is no doubt in my mind that I want to concentrate on character animation. I still love to do modeling and enjoy some rigging as well.

5. What would be your absolute dream job?

I would love to be a character animator working on projects that allow me to challenge myself and grow as an artist. It would be a huge bonus to be surrounded by people who love what they do and be willing to help each other. I really think that a team of such people can create much better end product than individuals working by themselves.

Peter's Reel:



Really well done, Pete!

Make sure you swing over to Peter's website to check out more of his fine work!

If you're in a similar situation to Peter, and have a demo reel you'd like to show off here, drop Dave a line at davesj[at]gmail[dot]com!

No comments: