Tuesday, June 27, 2006

BY DAVE: Jet Bike (WIP)

Though my degree is in computer animation, I took around 3 years off from it completely. During that time, I didn't touch Maya once, and so I was very worried when I started back up again that I would have forgotten everything.

It was amazing how much it was like riding a bike though, and I quickly found myself remembering all of the old tricks that I used to know.

However, things have changed a great deal in Maya in the past 3+ years, so I went ahead and ordered some DVDs from Digital Tutors just to brush up on what is new and different.

At the same time, I'm also working on a DVD from the Gnomon Workshop that I posted about in my weekend update.

Since I had already modeled this head once in the PLE, I decided to take a break from it and crack open my first Digital Tutors DVD. The DVD I chose to start with is called Introduction to Maya, and while I was able to skip most of the UI tutorials, I am running through the modeling ones, even if I already know the technique being taught. This has worked out great, as it has taught me new tricks and tips that I don't normally employ when modeling. Anyway... after the first night, this is what I have to show for it:



By the time I'm finished with the DVD, I'll have a fully modeled, textured, and animated jet bike. I'll make sure to post updates here, so that you can see the progress being made.

No comments: