Monday, June 12, 2006

BY DAVE: Human Head

While I'm waiting for the copy of Maya that I ordered to show up (should be here tomorrow), I went ahead and started dorking around with the free personal learning addition of Maya.

If you aren't familiar with what the personal learning addition is, and you have even a remote interest in learning 3D, I highly suggest you swing over to Autodesk's Homepage and check it out. It's basically a fully functional, yet 100% free, version of Maya with a few small limitations that keep you from profiting from anything you make with it (see watermark in image below). This allows you to learn the program and everything that makes it one of the two leading 3D programs today, while not paying a dime out of pocket until a huge Hollywood movie company hires you!



I've been using the Gnomon tutorials, along with the PLE to create a human head. He still looks like an alien, due to his missing ears and nose, but I'm through with the first disc of two in the tutorial and so far pretty happy with the results. He looks even better when smoothed out a bit, but I thought I'd show the rough version here.

Once I get the full version of Maya, I'll probably start over, but it's been a great learning experience to say the least.

For anyone familiar with my old comic strip, my mentor has actually asked that I model Monkey next, so look for a 3D version of him sometime down the road!

No comments: