Thursday, September 21, 2006

A Real Wild One

I must say I was surprised by the following news from The Hollywood Reporter:

Buena Vista Home Entertainment snagged the top two spots on the national DVD sales chart for the week ending Sept. 17 with the theatrical underachiever "The Wild" and a season two DVD set of television's hot "Grey's Anatomy," both new arrivals in stores last week.



Of course the shocking part would be that "The Wild," which was seen as both a commercial and critical flop took the #1 spot in DVD sales, and not the fact that season two of "Grey's Anatomy" took second. I've never seen GA, but I think the lead character (also in Old School) is a very attractive woman.

That being said, who would have thought that The Wild would come out on top? On one hand, it's good to see that a 3D film is sitting on top of the sales chart, but on the other hand it worries me that executives will look at it and say that quality doesn't matter and anything in 3D will sell...

Of course the article makes no mention of numbers sold, and the film really had no competition, short of some new TV to DVD releases (go buy season two of The Office right now), and the original Star Wars re-re-re-re-releases, so it could simply be a matter of it ranked #1 by default.

Frankly, I have yet to see the film, and may enjoy it. It's sitting next to my TV at home right now, so maybe I'll take a run through the jungle tonight.

How many got the CCR reference?

No comments: