Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Nate Wragg Interview on Character Design

Character Design has a new interview posted with Pixar Character designer, Nate Wragg.



First I usually have an idea of what I want before I start sketching. You know, say I want to draw a Viking, ill I have that in mind before I put the pen down on the paper. Then if a Viking is what I’m shooting for, ill go and get some reference. Ill try and find as much as I can on the subject or idea. The thing about photo reference, is that there are so many details you might over look, that are actually very true to the type of character that you’re going to be creating. For example, I’m sure that not all Vikings wore hats with horns and big bear skin coats, they may have had other ways of dressing, different kinds of weapons, it’d paying attention to those detail that will give you a more accurately styled character, and give you new ideas to play around with. So once I’ve got that stuff covered, and explored I then start to scribble around. I’ll try and explore different shapes to help me push the design in a unique way.

Nate Wragg Interview

Animated News

No comments: