Sunday, March 25, 2007

TMNT - The Review

It's not a 30%. I'll tell you that right now... dude.



I just got back from a viewing of "TMNT" the movie, and I can tell you, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that this film is not deserving of the 25% it's currently gathered over on Rotten Tomatoes from our friends in the film critic world.

Let me tell you up front that I was a fan of The Turtles "back in the day," but I'm by no means a fanboy. Heck, I'm still not even sure which ones are which, in terms of names and got more than a couple nasty looks tonight when I said things like, "The one with the sword kicked ass!" So you're not getting some delusional review by a guy who slept in turtle PJs as a kid.

With that out of the way, let me tell you that this movie is very good. It's most certainly not great, and that's mainly due to the story, but it's worth the price of admission and a film you should see on the big screen to truly appreciate.

Going into a Weinstein picture, I of course expected art in line with "Hoodwinked," but that's not the case. The character models are awesome, from the Turtles and Splinter right on through to the monsters. The animation is also top notch, and the Turtles are actually a lot of fun to watch as the scramble across the rooftops and fight the various baddies. The scene on the rooftop in the rain near the giant red neon sign is amazing, and worth the price of admission alone.

The plot is where the film stumbles, with it's cliches (stars align to unleash bad things on Earth) and cheesy dialogue, the the script is about as thin as a pizza.

That being said, "TMNT" is a great action flick and a beautiful film to watch. The eye candy makes up for the premise, and if you're even a remote fan of the franchise or a fan of CG films, it's worth your time for sure.

Cowabunga indeed.

Official TMNT Website

TMNT Coverage at IGN

TMNT Reviews at Rotten Tomatoes

No comments: