Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Monsters vs Aliens in 3D 3D

Yes I typed "3D" twice in the title, and that's because "Monsters vs Aliens," the upcoming film from Dreamworks set to release in Summer of 2009, is going to be both CG and 3D.



The growth in the number of theaters capable of projecting 3D films has dramatically risen in the past two years. It is expected by 2009 that there will be several thousand screens equipped for 3D. DreamWorks Animation believes that the rapid deployment of digital cinemas by exhibitors around the world and the latest technology developments will allow the company to take advantage of this new platform. The company has started production on its first film in this format, Monsters vs. Aliens (working title), intended for release in the summer of 2009.

I remember a time in the 80s when every film was in 3D, but the novelty quickly wore off. Is that something we really need to bring back? I just don't really see the need for it, especially if I have to wear the dumb glasses in the theater. Not to say the actual film won't be good, but I just don't know that 3D will really add anything to it.

Now I need to go take a nap on my waterbed so that I can get my rest before I head out on my four-wheeled roller skates and listen to my Walkman tape machine.

Dreamworks Press Release via Animated News

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The negative attituude toward 3d may stem from being one of the 4 to 5 % who have stereo perception problems. In a severe case it is called "amblyopia" , where one eye
is inputting perhaps 95% of the information, and the brain is compensating. Those people only see
what amounts to 2D, and they don't realize it. It is like color blindness. People see some color, but only maybe a third of the spectrum, they don't get it when people get all worked up about a
rainbow or some multi-colored sunset. There is obviously an
advantage to 3D in animation and effects driven storytelling, or
really beautiful bodies and faces and hair..Trust me. Fully ten percent of the features within
7 years will be offered in 3D. This
was the case after the first seven
years of the Technicolor age. Lots
of nay sayers said it was only fit for Disney and MGM type musicals!
Such is the bias of being locked into a convention. Sound was considered "iffy" in the first
5 years or so years after "The Jazz Singer" in 1927.