Monday, May 21, 2007

Shrek the Third - The Review

After watching "Shrek the Third" this weekend, I've officially written off the critics when it comes to CG films, and you should too.



I'm not as big of a Shrek fan as some others may be. I ranked the first 2 films 10th on my personal "Dave's Top 10 Animated Films of All Time That He Can Remember" list. So if my math serves me correctly, I've got 9 other CG films I'd choose to watch over those two.

What's my point?

The point is that I'm not just some Shrek fanboy (sounds creepy), and I understand the films have their faults. That being said, for "Shrek the Third" to be pulling an overall score of 43% over at Rotten Tomatoes is utterly ridiculous.

The first two films ranked in the high 80s to low 90s, so I walked in expecting a huge drop in quality, which there simply isn't. The visuals are stunning (though the human models creep me out), the animation is great, and the performances are what they've always been, which is to say consistent. The film was funny in spots, touching in others, and exciting throughout.

The bottom line is that if you liked the first two films, or if you're just a fan of animation in general, you'll find something to enjoy in "Shrek the Third." Is it original? Not really, but I'm tired of originality being the only measuring stick for critics. If something is entertaining, then it's just plain entertaining, and isn't that why we go to a film like "Shrek the Third" in the first place?

While a 43% isn't quite the travesty that the 32% score for "TMNT" (or the 66% for "Meet the Robinsons" was for that matter) was, when coupled with "Shrek the Third" having the third biggest box office opening of all time, even beating out the two higher-rated prequels, it proves that critics are even more irrelevant than ever before.

Go see it.

Dave's Top 10 Animated Films of All Time

Shrek the Third on Rotten Tomatoes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard that Animagic Studios (www.animagicstudios.com) has been producing some really amazing animations. They have worked with many fortune companies and smaller companies. Keep on eye on them as they are creating some really amazing TV spots as well as 3D animated TV series. Rumor has it that a 3D animated motion picture is in the works too.

Dave Johnson said...

Thanks, Beth.

While appreciate you turning on the readers of the blog to other studios, please try to remain on topic with your comments. You've left this post on a couple of unrelated stories now, and I'd hate to start deleting them.

In the future, if you've got a great link like this one, send it to me and I'll be happy to post about it.

Thank you!