Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Help Wanted

I usually don't use this blog for things like this, but I'm looking for some help and thought I'd throw the offer up here to see if any of you fine readers are interested.



I've been planning a startup business for some time now, and I'm looking for some talented and driven people with similar ideals to join the fold. This is not a scam or a get-rich-quick kind of thing. I'm looking to start a legitimate Animation House, focused on commercial work.

Initially it would be a team of 3-5 people, consisting of 1-3 animators an 1-2 modelers/riggers. I can tell you right now that there wouldn't be pay involved, for you or me... at least to start with. Instead the team will create a couple of short mock advertisements that we can then pitch to prospective clients.

I don't want to say much outside of that, other than to stress that I am VERY committed to this and have been working towards the goal for some time already. I've got a solid animator with some commercial experience and myself, so I'd be looking for 1 more animator. We've got a studio name and website in development, so we are moving forward.

Where I really need the help is in the form of a really solid modeler/rigger. The first couple of ads would be in a more cartoony style, so if you enjoy doing that kind of work, drop me a line.

I'd also like to stress that in terms of time commitment, it would be only would you could provide to start with. This is a side venture for me, and I know that everyone has careers and families that come first. That being said, I need people who are willing to commit at some time on a weekly basis.

For anyone who has read this blog for any time at all, you should already know that I'm not a flake, and I definitely have a passion for 3D art. So serious inquiries only please.

If you want to find out more, including the business name, focus and to get additional details on the mock ads, drop me a line at davesj(at)gmail(dot)com.

Thank you!

2 comments:

ArrggghhhhJOHN said...

Hey

Good to see your taking the steps to setting up your own animation studio.. Unfortunatly I cant help you with the good Modeler/rigger but what I can offer is some info ive learned myself. If you are starting out with commercials, you are better doing short shorts with different visual and animation styles.. Adverting companies dont seem to like it when you show them mock commercials.. the way they see it, they come up with the ideas and you just create it. What Id suggest is to create a few 10 to 30sec shorts and maybe just one mock commercial. They like to see that you can create whatever they dream up..
Anyway thats my experience of it, someone else may disagree either way best of luck..

John T.

Dave Johnson said...

Great advice, John! You make a lot of sense, and I think having a wide range of styles will only help our chances.

Thank you!