Monday, April 02, 2007

I Met the Robinsons

I got the chance to take in "Meet the Robinsons" this weekend, and here's what I thought...



This was an exclusive screening for me and my wife apparently, as we were the only two in the entire theater at the 9:40pm viewing of the film. This is probably for the best, as the 3D glasses they provided made us look like complete dorks. Seriously, I'm guessing the glasses had to be that big to make sure that they took up our entire field of view, but they really just made us look like Solid Gold dancers from the 80s.

The film? Oh... the film... right.

The film was good. It had a very solid cast, some great models and animation, and some wonderful environments. The story is decent, and the interactions between the various characters does a good job of garnering the intended emotions from the audience (i.e. - my wife crying). I did feel at times that the creators were really just tossing ideas at a dartboard and whoever got closest to the center got to have their idea in the movie. Robots, dinosaurs, time travel, funny old people, singing frogs, inventions, and bubbles apparently hit the closest.

That being said, they do a great job of tying it all together in the end. Sort of like having a kid with ADHD and then having him hand you his report card with straight Bs. Sure he spent most of the year hanging upside down from the curtains and lighting his teacher on fire, but in the end, you can't argue with the results.

I will say that The Bowler Hat Guy is an amazing villain. Easily my favorite villain to hit screens in a decade, and probably one of my top 5 of all time. Each time he came on the screen I started to vibrate, because I just knew I would enjoy the scene. This vibration is another reason I'm glad we were the only two in the theater.

"Meet the Robinsons" is a very good film, and I'm sure (based on the box office take) that we were the only two in the theater simply due to the fact that most families don't go to the 9:40pm showings. If you've got the time and don't mind looking like a retired couple from Palm Springs as you watch a movie (those glasses are huge), I think you'll get quite a kick out of The Robinson family.

No comments: